¼ cup whole wheat flour
¼ cup instant oatmeal
1 tsp baking powder
¼ cup 1% milk OR 2 tbsp fat-free half and half
2 egg whites
1/3 cup water
Pinch of salt
2 tsp sugar OR 2 no-calorie sweetener packets
Optional ingredients for inside pancake:
o Cinnamon, to taste
o 1 tsp Vanilla extract
o ½ tsp Almond extract
o Chocolate chips
o Chopped fruit
Optional toppings for waffles or pancakes:
o Spray butter
o Sugar free or other maple syrup
o Sugar free or 100% fruit jam/preserves
o Fresh fruit
o Peanut butter
1. Mix the first 3 ingredients.
2. Add the remaining 5 ingredients. Mix well.
3. Pour all of the batter onto skillet or use Â¼ cup for a waffle iron. (Waffle iron will tell you when done.)
4. Sprinkle with any optional ingredients for inside pancake.
5. For pancakes, when you see bubbles appear on the top, spray once again with cooking spray on top of the pancake before you flip it to the other side.
6. Cook ~2 minutes more on the opposite side; remove from pan.
7. If desired, spray with butter spray and top with desired toppings.
Entire recipe without toppings: ~220 calories (makes ~5 smaller waffles/pancakes)
2T blueberries = 7.5 calories
¼ medium banana = 25 calories
1T mini chocolate chips = 70 calories
1T peanut butter = 90 calories
1T honey = 60 calories
1T 100% maple syrup = 50 calories (check label for individual brands)
1T sugar free jam = 10 calories
1T 100% fruit jam = 35 calories (check label for individual brands)
¼ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt= 35 calories
Cinnamon, spices, and extracts = 0 calories
Fun flavor combinations:
Cinnamon inside + apricot preserves on top
Spread pancake with peanut butter and top with sliced bananas and honey
Mini chocolate chips inside and red raspberry jam/jelly on top
Blueberries inside and Greek yogurt on top
Almond and vanilla extracts + cinnamon + poppy seeds
Under 400-calorie meal: Enjoy entire recipe with 1 whole egg or 5 egg whites and a serving of fruit such as 1 sliced orange, 1 sliced banana, or ¾ cup berries.
Storage tip: Freeze in individually wrapped plastic wrap for a quick pancake or waffle breakfast any day of the week. Reheat in toaster or microwave.